- Teach your students by using a Language Experience Approach:
- Have your student dictate an experience to you. You could have him/her talk about a family tradition, favorite memory or Christmas story.
- Write down the exact words that the student dictates. Stop from time to time and read aloud what you have written to confirm that you have written the story correctly.
- These words will serve as a basis for your reading instruction. Have the student read the text or focus on key words, sentences, or phrases.
- This experience uses the student's own language and knowledge and helps build connections between oral and written language.
- Always give positive feedback! Perhaps you could also try dictating a simple story to your student
Did you enjoy this post? Why not leave a comment below and continue the conversation,
or subscribe to my feed and get articles like this delivered automatically to your feed reader.